Over the years we’ve grown used to the presence of smoke alarms in most homes and businesses. They’re ubiquitous and reassuring and have a proven safety track record. Carbon monoxide alarms (CO), on the other hand, are relatively new to the home market. More and more people are becoming aware of what a crucial role they can play in terms of home safety. They are vital in protecting us from deadly poisonous gases that are both odourless and invisible, and because of this it is universally agreed that every home should have at least one installed.
However, not as much is known about carbon monoxide detectors. They are a more recent addition to the market than smoke detectors. What’s more, as more become available on the market, it can be difficult for anyone without expert knowledge to get their heads around the technical specifications of the multitude of models available. So, we’ve tried to put together a list of the seven top carbon monoxide models available on the market right now.
The Kidde 5CO detects carbon monoxide gas and gives a loud acoustic warning if this poisonous by-product of incomplete fossil fuel burning is present. It’s important to note that this is just a CO detector/alarm, and not a combination CO and smoke detector/alarm. Nevertheless, it is an essential life saver that every home with gas or solid fuel heating needs. Excellent customer reviews across all platforms and scores highly in terms of efficiency and value for money.
- Continuous monitoring
- Can be positioned in all rooms with boilers, stoves, or open fires
- End-of-life alarm
- Test/reset button
- Battery operation
- Multifunction green and red LED display
- Early warning alarm to protect against the first signs of carbon monoxide build-up
- Alarm sounds and lights flash before dangerous levels of CO are reached in the room
- 10-year sensor life span
- 10-year replacement guarantee if faulty
The Fireangel CO-9D digital 7-year life carbon monoxide alarm provides an early warning of the presence of CO in your home. The digital LCD display shows low levels of CO down to 10ppm and peak readings over the previous 4 weeks. Excellent customer reviews across all platforms and scores highly in terms of efficiency and value for money.
- 7 year sealed-for-life lithium battery
- Portable appliance so can removed from the home to use on holidays.
- Can be positioned in all rooms; bedrooms, living rooms, kitchens, boiler rooms
- Ease of installation
- Room thermometer function designed to provide temperature indication
- Certified to BS EN50291-1:2010+A12012 & BS EN50291-2:2010
Nest Protect is a combined smoke and carbon monoxide alarm with a split-spectrum smoke sensor to detect both fast -and slow-burning fires. It can send an alert to your phone, speak to you, and even light the way in the dark. It tells you what the danger is and where it is. The Split-Spectrum Sensor looks for both fast-and slow-burning fires. Google Nest Protect has garnered excellent all-round reviews for both its specifications and efficiency. However, it is considerably more expensive than the other carbon monoxide alarms on offer – though you also get an added smoke alarm for the price.
- Nest Protect has a 10-year CO sensor so that it can tell you where poisonous, invisible CO is hiding.
- Nest Protect can alert your phone when you’re out and about that if something is wrong at home. You’ll receive a message if the alarm goes off if the batteries start to run low or if a sensor isn’t working. And you can silence your Nest Protect using the Nest app
- Nest Protect checks itself over 400 times a day and lets you know if something is wrong.
- Nest Protect also has Steam Check, so hot steam from baths and showers shouldn’t trigger false alarms. Pathlight will light your way at night
- Easy to install. Nest Protect only takes minutes to set up with your iOS or Android device. Once you’ve added each of your Nest Protects to your Nest account, they will automatically connect to each other. Nest Protect is also simple to attach to the ceiling, thanks to a neatly designed back plate
YZIF Carbon Monoxide Detector CO Alarm Detector battery-powered with digital display and sound alarm for home use. Easy to install, very good competitive price and well regarded by buyers online. Good value for money considering the specification.
- Light and Sound Alarm Warning: When a dangerous level of carbon monoxide is detected the red LED will flash and the alarm pattern will sound 85-decibel alarm to protect your family’s life and property safety from CO detector.
- Alarm Standard: the alert time depend s on the level of carbon monoxide concentration. 50ppm, alert within 60 to 90 minutes; 100ppm, alert within 10 to 40 minutes; 300ppm, alert within 3 minutes.
- High Quality CO Alarm, EN 50291 Certified Carbon Monoxide detector equipped with high accuracy and reliable long-life electrochemical CO sensor to detect CO gas leak quickly
- Power Supply: (DC3V) 2AA size batteries. (Not included) Sensor Type: Electrochemical Gas Detection Type: Carbon Monoxide Material: ABS
Firehawk CO7B-10Y Carbon Monoxide Alarm Detector with 10-year battery
Firehawk CO7B-10Y Carbon monoxide alarm. Battery operated. Sealed-in long life lithium battery. 10 Year sensor. Automatic sensor test. End of life indicator. Alarm silence. Excellent reviews overall for this cost-effective CO alarm. Easy to install, easy to use and with good battery life. Great value for money considering its technical specification and performance. The only criticism is once the batteries are spent, the device needs to be replaced, rather than just the batteries.
- Sealed 10-year Lithium battery
- End of life indicator
- LED indicators
- Versatile mounting system
- Compact & stylish design
Honeywell XC70 Carbon Monoxide Detector Alarm – BNIB 7
The Honeywell XC70 has an attractive, compact design and can be used as a free standing or wall mounted unit according to your requirements. The XC70 has a reduced sound level test feature, allowing you to test the detector without the full 90dB alarm sound level. Certified for use in caravans and boats as well as domestic applications, the Honeywell XC70 carbon monoxide detector features a sealed long-life lithium battery, giving the detector a lifespan of up to 7 years. Generally, receives good customer reviews for efficiency, specification, and competitive pricing.
- Up to 7-year lifespan and manufacturer warranty
- Battery powered – sealed lithium long-life battery. 90db alarm
- Certified for use in caravans, on boats and domestic applications
- Separate coloured status LEDs for alarm, power, fault and ventilate
- Suitable for free standing or wall mounting
Fireangel C0-9X Carbon Monoxide Alarm
Compact and portable carbon monoxide alarm; provides early warning of the presence of CO through alarm and LED display. Advanced electrochemical sensor with a loud, clear alarm. Large test button and end-of-life alert. Wall-mountable or portable for home or travel. 7 year sealed-for-life battery. Excellent reviews for price, specification, and reliability. The only complaint, as is the case for many sealed-for-life battery models is that once the batteries are exhausted the alarm becomes redundant, though for the relatively small initial outlay perhaps this isn’t too much of an issue after a 7-year life cycle.
- Automatic self-diagnostic check, 7 years sealed for life lithium battery, loud 85 dB alarm at 1 metre, large test and silence button, visual LEDs for power, alarm, and fault
- 7 years sealed-for- life lithium battery
- Loud 85 dB alarm at 1 m
- Large test and silence button
- Visual LEDs for power, alarm, and fault
Scondaor Carbon Monoxide Alarm Detector EN50291 Certified
The Scondaor Carbon Monoxide Detector is a battery-powered LCD Display CO alarm featuring a durable and high-quality CO sensor can provide 10 years long time protection for you and your family. After 10 years operation, the alarm beeps twice every 45 seconds and LCD display “End” indicating it is time to replace the detector. Generally received good reviews for pricing and efficiency, though the build-quality can sometimes be hit and miss. Most customers seem to be pleased with the CO alarm, baring initial teething problems.
- EN 50291 Certified Carbon Monoxide Detector: High accuracy and reliable long life electrochemical CO sensor and the CO alarm detector complies with EN 50291 standard.
- Sound 85dB audible alarm and Red LED flashes when dangerous level CO gas is detected to alert home members effectively
- Large Digital LCD Screen: Display CO concentration PPM Level and Battery status. And three LED indicators display three working statuses: Red (Alarm mode), Yellow (Fault mode), Green (Power On, Normal Standby mode)
- TEST/MENU Button: Press “Test” to manual test the CO alarm circuit operation to ensure the proper working and Press “MENU” to view the alarm record. The alarm features self-test function automatic detect hardware failures such as internal circuit and CO sensor in normal standby mode to ensure the alarm always proper operating
- 3×1.5V AA Battery operated (Battery Not included). Alarm features Low Battery warning to alert users to replace the batteries. Alarm features End of Life warning to alert user to replace the alarm after 10-year operation
- Widely Used: Carbon monoxide alarm detector can be wall-mounted or free-standing- the best choice for home or travel